Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Friend Who Sticks Closer than a Brother

A man who has friends must himself be friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
 Proverbs 18:24


By my own guidelines, this is not a name of Christ because it's pulled out of context. It comes from a proverb that gives broad generalizations about friends and friendship. However, if I make the rules, I can make my own exceptions and through experience, I've found Christ to be a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

Brotherhood is a powerful bond; there's almost nothing like it. Sharing childhood, growing up together, and discovering the world at the same time are qualities that few can compete with. However, brothers grow up, get married, and move away. Time and distance take their toll and then both start to live separate lives.

A really good friend is harder to find than a brother because brothers often even share the same bedroom. A good friendship usually takes years to develop and must be cultivated, especially at the beginning. But once it takes root, it is hearty and continues through thick and thin.

I've been close to a big brother and a very good friend. Death took them both from me. Each time I felt empty, alone, and numb. The loss of a great relationship is a great loss.

I'm able to take complete comfort in the fact that I'll see them both again. Truth of the matter is we all have a mutual friend and we're going to meet at His place as soon as I can finish my last breath.

In the meantime, Jesus is there for me. When I'm lonely He's there; when I'm tired, He pulls the load; when I hurt, He comforts me; when I am frustrated, He listens. The best part of all is He'll never die. He's already been there and done that. He is for me a friend who sticks closer than a brother.


No comments:

Post a Comment