Wednesday, July 8, 2015

One of the Prophets

 When Jesus came into the region of Caesarea Philippi, He asked His disciples, saying, "Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?"So they said, "Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets."
Matthew 16:13,14*


It was a title of unbelief spoken by those who still didn’t really know the Savior. It was a form of leveling that put Jesus on par with other well-known religious men.

Yet for all the inadequacies of the title, it was true nonetheless. He was a prophet. If they had only believed it, they could have been saved.

Christ prophesied more about hell and eternal judgment than any other preacher in the Bible. He clearly told of His death on the cross and gave the signs of His second coming.

At the great white throne, Christ can look down on those faithless ones and say, “Your ears didn’t hear the words I said. I spoke of repentance, yet you didn’t change. You know that the Messiah had to suffer, but you were unmoved at my death. I warned you that the Son of Man would come without warning, yet you were unprepared. You called me a prophet and so I am. Out of your own mouth I will condemn you. Depart from me you workers of iniquity.”

How sad!  At the very least, Jesus was One of the Prophets, but people never bothered to listen to what He had to say.

*see also Mark 8:28; Luke 9:19




No comments:

Post a Comment