Thursday, August 6, 2015

Him who is Able to Do

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us,
Ephesians 3:20

After four years on the mission field in the jungles of South America we were ready to return to the United States on a four month furlough. Plane reservations were made (though not paid for) and tentative dates set, however, the necessary funds just weren’t coming in. It looked like everything was going to fall through.

It wouldn’t have been difficult to cancel the reservation for tickets or even to send out a form letter explaining that we wouldn’t be coming back after all. The hardest part for me was telling my five year old son that he might not get to see his grandmother.
         
That night my little boy prayed, “God, give us lots and lots of money, just like Zacchaeus. But we’re not going to give it to the poor people, ‘cuz we want to go to the States.”

The very next day the Mission Aviation Fellowship plane flew into our village bringing mail and with it, more than enough money for tickets and expenses. I was elated and rushed to tell my son the good news of God’s faithfulness.

 This was the child’s prayer that night: “God, don’t send any more money, ‘cuz now we have lots.”
         
My first reaction to his words was the strong urge to cram a sock into his little mouth. A little later, I was able to chuckle at his simplicity, but now, the innocence of his wisdom just puts me to shame.
         
It was clear in the prayer that my son felt free to ask for more if a need ever arose again. He demonstrated a greater knowledge of “Him who is Able to Do exceedingly abundantly” than I did at that time.
         
Over the years my eyes have seen Christ do marvelous works time and time again, but my little boy saw Him through faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment