Friday, August 14, 2015

I AM

Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."
John 8:58

Talk about conversation stoppers. The Pharisees were shocked. They couldn’t believe their ears. Jesus of Nazareth had just called Himself “I AM.” Just moments before He said that He was older than Abraham and now, in effect, He was saying that He was the God of Abraham. They immediately picked up stones to throw at Him.
         
This was no inside joke or subtle allusion. Jesus had blatantly applied one of the most powerful names of God to Himself. They knew the scripture: “God declared to Moses ‘I AM WHO I AM.’ And He said, ‘Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'” (Exodus 3:14).

The Jewish leaders didn’t believe the Lord. They refused to have Him rule over them and by doing that, they were guilty of the crime of rejecting the Living God.

When Jesus called Himself the great I AM, He calls all humanity to respond to His claim. To reject or ignore the deity of Christ is to choose not to believe the Master. Believing Him is to praise, worship, and honor Him as the everlasting God.

 By the Spirit all pervading,
 Hosts unnumbered round the Lamb,
 Crowned with light and joy unfading,
 Hail Him as the great “I AM.”
                                 J.N. Darby (1800-1882)




No comments:

Post a Comment