Sunday, August 16, 2015

Merciful and Gracious


"The LORD, the LORD God, merciful and gracious…”
 Exodus 34:6*

         Ugly and vicious, with hairy legs and a needle-like snout, she comes upon the unsuspecting to suck their blood and spread disease. Hidden only by the insignificance of her size, she strikes out with impunity against those millions of times her superior. Attractive in nothing, loved by none, a parasite indeed. So the tiny mosquito can be described by those unfortunate enough to be her victim.

         In my lifetime, I’ve swatted thousands of those pesky insects without giving a moment for apology or remorse. Given the opportunity, I’ll kill many more. Mosquitoes deserve to die. They get no mercy from me.

Mankind is even less deserving of mercy than the lowly mosquito. Made in the image of God and given a mind to reason, man would deny his Maker, preferring instead to think he is the product of a mindless series of accidents called evolution. This creature refuses to submit himself to his Lord.

When God sent His laws to earth, people broke them. When warnings of judgment were given, they laughed at all that was Holy. Finally, when God took human form to come to Adam’s race, the creation struck out at its Creator, wanting Him dead. The entire human race is not worthy of mercy.

Seven times in the Bible, God is called merciful and gracious in the same verse. This at first doesn’t seem so remarkable until one considers just how unlovely and undeserving people really are. If I wasn’t a hell deserving sinner, I wouldn’t need mercy. However, since I am worthy of God’s wrath, I am glad that I can go to Him who is both Merciful and Gracious.

*Nehemiah 9:31; Psalm 103:8; Joel 2:13 plus 3 other references.



No comments:

Post a Comment